I followed the recipe which used egg whites as that promised to be lighter. Then I added cocoa, cranberries and extra nuts.
……… I wish I could say I had picked the macadamia nuts from the plant in the garden, but I can’t. All I’ve ever gotten from it are holly-like leaves. I had some nuts in the fridge so I tossed those into the mixture.
No wonder someone had broken the handle of her knife in the process. I had used a cleaver but I can’t say it was a piece of cake. I had a blister on my hand to show for my effort.
But when I bite into a piece of the crispy, nutty biscotti, it makes all the effort and the blister seem worthwhile.
4 egg whites
110 gm castor sugar
pinch of salt
120 g plain flour
30g rice flour
1 ½ tbsp cocoa powder (optional)
100 gm macadamia nuts
100 gm pistachios
50 gm dried cranberries
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven at approx 350 deg F (175 deg C).
- Whisk A until stiff.
- Sift B. Add B to A and blend well.
- Add C and mix well.
- Pour into greased and lined loaf tins. Make 2 loaves.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Leave to cool. Wrap and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Cut into 2mm thick slices and bake at 300 deg F (150 deg C) for 15 min.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.