I did my first leaf-pull when I found a distorted leaf with a blackened trap.
Since it wasn’t looking its best it didn’t seem too much of a sacrifice to experiment with it.
After a few weeks, I saw a nub forming at the base of the leaf. This soon became a baby dionaea muscipula pink venus with its own miniature traps.
It was my first! I was thrilled and I knew I was going to try again.
Today I found 2 more leaves with blackened traps. More leaf-pull material! I loathe using perfect leaves with good traps. 😛
Here’s how I did the leaf-pull:
1. Isolate the leaf.
2. Tug the leaf carefully at a downward angle away from the plant so that you get the whole leaf right down to its white base.
3. Lay the leaf on a bed of moistened long fibre sphagnum. Cut off the trap if it is black.
4. Cover a bit of the base with some of the sphagnum moss.
5. Sit this in a shallow dish of water in bright light but away from full sun.
6. Wait for signs of growth and move to a position in full sun.